Introduction to Negative Painting (Recording)
by Etchr Lab
For approximately 3 hours, watch and paint along with illustrator Jill Gustavis as she teaches the basics of negative painting. Learn all the fundamentals and come out with new techniques that will enhance the space and dimensions of your paintings!
This class will cover:
- Creating more realistic lighting within your paintings
- Giving shapes dimension without underdrawings
- Identifying appropriate subjects and materials for negative painting
- Using brushes for specific mark making
Purchase this video now and a downloadable PDF containing the video link will be sent to you via email.
- Two+ colors of paint (artist grade recommended)
- Palette or dish to mix washes in.
- A selection of brushes if you’d like to experiment with mark-making, but at least one brush that is capable of strokes ranging from mid-size (equivalent of a round 8-10) to fine detail.
- Paper for exercises: Sketchbook or loose paper of your favorite variety. 100% cotton is recommended and HP/CP is up to you. 140lb recommended, but 90lb paper taped down may suffice.
- Paper for painting project. 100% cotton is highly recommended since there will be extra layers. 140lb min is recommended to prevent warping with washes. HP/CP is your choice.
- 2 Rinse cups (one for washing, one for clean water)
- Paper towel (optional for lifting/blotting)
- Masking Fluid (optional one exercise)
- Masking Tape (optional for one exercise/creating clean borders)